Friday, February 22, 2008

Making the Best of Things #1

Sometimes, things go wrong. Chef Z knows this. Sometimes, despite best intentions, you just plain fail. But fear not! A Hardcore Gourmet does not fret! A Hardcore Gourmet makes the best of things! So, welcome to the first edition of The Hardcore Gourmet's "Making the Best of Things."

A few nights ago, in the interest of having some fresh bread for my French Onion Soup (recipe soon!), I got to work baking a few loaves. I had altered my recipe slightly to add more yeast to the dough. I noticed that the dough was rising extraordinarily well. I was excited. But suspicious.
I gave it a second rise and threw it in the oven. The loaves looked like they were doing fine. I took out the bread, let it cool slightly, then FINALLY sliced in, hoping for some delicious goodness.



Alas.
The bread was flat-tasting. Immediately, it all made sense. The bland taste, the hyper-rise...
I had forgotten the salt.
Dumb.

So, I had a bland, though edible, loaf of bread. What was I to do?
Make the best of things.
Immediately, I took the easy route. Having a problem with funny tasting bread?
Make croûtons.
The saving grace of any bread blunder.

I sliced up the bread into thick slices, think Texas toast thick, then sliced again into strips.


You can choose to slice again into cubes, but I just tore the slices into smaller pieces in the interest of convenience. Then, I tossed the bread in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.


Then, I laid the croûtons to be on a pizza pan, and stuck it into a an oven, preheated to 350 degrees. Once the croûtons were browned and crunchy looking, I took them out.


Voila!

Saved!

And delicious. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment